Saturday, January 4, 2014

Snow, elsewhere

So I am tangentially employed by a large university in the Midwest.  My monetary remuneration barely covers my yearly car insurance, but I receive true recompense in the form of electronic missives -infrequent yet reliable- from a place that's not here.

Mostly these messages from elsewhere are alarmist.  Campus lockdown!  Tornado warning!  Occasionally they are sorrowful.  Bigwig died.  I have yet to see a happy one, but I love them anyway because they assume -wrongly, but with absolute confidence- that I am on the ground in another state, and in so doing they allow me to pretend, if only for an instant, that I am.

My favorites are the storm warnings, and so I savored the one that came today:  Mittens are warmer than gloves.  Watch for patches of ice.   Significant snowfall expected; bitter cold.

No comments: